When one of my daughters was competing in gymnastics a few years ago, I used to deliver this montra to stick in her head. “Practice and Polish” I’d say. Over and over and over again. (yes, montra not mantra, stick with me here)
Now I did this to get her to think, “what does he mean?”
Well, let’s simply look at the definitions of these two words.
Practice - Noun
1. the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method, as opposed to theories relating to it.
2. repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it.
1. perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency.
Polish - Verb
1. make the surface of (something) smooth and shiny by rubbing it.
Side note: rubbing it meaning:
1. to apply pressure and friction to (something) with a circular or backward and forward motion
2. to move (something) with pressure along, over, or against (a surface) [friction]
3. to chafe or fray [because of friction again]
4. (tr) to bring into a certain condition by rubbing [friction]
Some common synonyms of practice are custom, habit or usage.
Common usage of polish is “To refine or remove flaws from; to perfect or complete”
So, in short what I was trying to teach her is to train and develop a good habit of training and to train often. (practice) Learn the steps (routine), forwards, backwards and sideways. Look at your technique and improve. Muscle memory, like a dance step. Invest. Be able to do it in your sleep. Learn to understand. Observe. Find your strengths and weaknesses. Understand to improve. Prepare your brain to meditate in the midst of activity.
Look for the little things that your competition may be better at than you and work on those until those little bumps become smooth. (polish) Be flexible, listen to others observing you (coach) and be humble enough to take in what others offer. Learn to be objective and continue to improve. (refine).
Practice = the journey, the rough into something resembling greatness. A reflection of the effort.
But the surface still has a texture, with small bumps along the way.
So, Polish the surface into something so smooth there is a reflection of excellence that all can recognize.
I say all of this to ask; Are you Training?
Seek your crown in everything you do. Firearms, safety, awareness and knowledge of spiritual things.
Be Everything you were created to be!
Source: definitions from Merriam-Webster